Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Emergency Big Boy Cake

Yesterday afternoon when I put Brennan down for a nap we had a little discussion.  I told him that it will be his birthday soon and he will be 3.  He was all excited about that.  He kept saying "happy appy Bwemmen," (Happy Birthday Brennan) and "bu-woah a cam-balls," (blow out candles).  I told him that, yes, all of that would happen, but when he turns 3, he has to be a big boy and throw away his paci.  His response was "paci all gone."  I said, "yes, when your birthday comes we'll throw it away."

I put him in bed and went downstairs.  I was feeling pretty good, thinking that was a good start to getting him prepared to give up his paci by his birthday next month.

Well, a couple hours later I hear him upstairs.  Usually he opens his door and comes to the gate and yells for me or Jason to come and get him.  This time I hear running and then nothing.  I went upstairs to investigate.  When I got to the top of the stairs he was coming out of the bathroom and he tells me this...
"Paci all gone!!! 
thow away, yah!!! 
happy appy Bwemmen,
cam-balls,
big boy,
go downstairs now!!!"

Uh oh.

I wasn't expecting my plan  to work so fast.
He pulled me into the bathroom to show me the trash can. 
He really did throw away his paci.

So...
we went downstairs, all the while Brennan going on about his happy appy.  Thankfully, Jason had come home while we were upstairs.  I told him all about what had transpired through the afternoon...and that I didn't know what to do.  Obviously, it's wasn't his birthday, but he was ready to be a big boy and throw out the paci...and he was expecting to blow out candles. 

We decided to go with it, and after a scramble to find a recipe for a cake that included ingredients I had on hand (ummm, yeah, not a recipe I'll be sharing any time soon), and a little bit of persuasion to convince Brennan that it wasn't his birthday, but we could have a big boy cake instead, we were all good.

(I have learned from this experience that from now on I will always have a cake mix and icing on hand.  And plenty of cup cake liners.  That should be in a good mommy handbook somewhere.  Sheesh.)

So after supper, we gave the big boy his cake.
Big Boy Cake

And then he blew out his candle.
Blowing out the candle
We actually did that twice.  He wanted to do it again, so Jason re-lit it for him. : )

Mmmm, yummy.
Who needs a spoon

I think he liked it.  The Cool Whip icing, anyway.  He kept telling me, "No more paci. big boy." the whole time he was eating his cupcake.
Mmmm, good.


I had to show this one.  Brennan can't stand a mess, or to be sticky, and he was cleaning as he went.  You gotta love a kid like that! : )
Cleaning.

As it turned out, I could have just filled up a cup with Cool Whip, stuck a candle in it, and called it a cake.  This is all he ate.
Yum-o icing

So there we go with another milestone.  We'll see how it goes.  He went to bed last night with no problem, and we didn't hear a peep out of him all night.  This morning when he got up the first thing he said was, "no more paci!"

If i knew it was going to be this easy, I would have done this months ago! 

It's amazing what a little cake will do. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails