Monday, January 17, 2011

Sunny Hearts

Brennan and I were long overdue on doing some crafty stuff together.  Since he started school and does arts and crafts three times a week, we don't get to do quite so many at home.  But Jason helped some friends move on Saturday, so I thought that would be the perfect time to get crafty.

I have been wanting to get some Valentine decorations up, and I really prefer the homemade kind, so the other day I found this idea at No Time For Flashcards. 

I just improvised and used stuff we had on hand, and I think they turned out pretty cute.

For our sun catchers we used:
Construction Paper
Plastic Wrap
Confetti
Glitter
Glue Sticks
Thread (to hang them up)

First I cut some hearts out of construction paper.  You need two hearts with the middle cut out for each piece.
Heart Sun Catchers -1
Don't be like me.  Avoid the meltdown or two from the child who just wants to get started already, and can't wait for mommy to cut the hearts out, and do this the night before or at nap time.


Put one heart down and slather on the glue stick. Put a piece of plastic wrap over the top. Or if you're Brennan, you "MOOOSH" it on. (Mooosh is his new favorite word.)
I did find that it's better to just leave the plastic wrap in a big rectangle and just trim it up later.
Heart Sun Catchers -3

Here's the confetti we used. I just dumped it on a plate so it would be easy for Brennan to pick up. Ideally, we would have used heart confetti, but Brennan found it sometime over the summer, and then there was heart confetti explosion in the hallway upstairs. It was very festive.
Heart Sun Catchers -2

Next, sprinkle the confetti in the heart.  (Realize your idea of sprinkle is different than your child's, and sneak some out when he's not looking.)
Heart Sun Catchers -4

Add some glitter, because everything is better with glitter.
Heart Sun Catchers -7

Then MOOOSH another piece of plastic wrap on top.
Heart Sun Catchers -5

I apparently didn't take pictures of the next step, but you put glue on the other paper heart and glue it on top.  Just make a sandwich: paper heart, glue, plastic wrap, confetti and glitter, plastic wrap, glue, paper heart.  Then just trim the excess plastic wrap and hang them up.  To hang ours, I punched a hole in the top of the heart and then made a big loop with a piece of thread.  Taping them up would be fine, too.

Put them in your window or door and enjoy the love.
Heart Sun Catchers -8

 



No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails