Thursday, January 19, 2012

Decorating: Chalking It Up

As you all know, we just moved to our new house in November.  Right after we moved in and got our furniture arranged, we decorated for Christmas.  After the holiday decorations came down, the whole place looked pretty sad and barren.  So you know what that meant?  Yay, time for some decorating!

One of the things Jason and I worked on before he left was this handy-dandy chalkboard. (Why, yes, we do watch Blue's Clues around here quite often...and, yes,  I also have a handy-dandy notebook.)

1.19.2012 023

While it would have been nice to have a vintage schoolhouse slate chalkboard, No. 1 - I've priced them, and they are way out of our budget, No. 2 - Jason still has several years left in the military, and I hate to imagine how much a slate chalkboard would add to our household goods weight.  So...we did the next best thing and built one ourselves.  We went to Lowe's and bought a piece of smooth plywood cut to size, and some trim.  Then since our Lowe's doesn't carry chalkboard paint, (I know, crazy!) we went to the Home Depot and bought some chalkboard and trim paint.

A side note to my mother-in-law: Yes, Jason and I miter cut trim together, and yes, we are still happily married. : )

1.19.2012 024

I love having everything right there on the wall.  This is our ongoing agenda for the Winter.  Brennan is finger painting right now, so needless to say we don't always do the right thing on the right day, or maybe we do some things on several days.  Only our Friday lunch dates are non-negotiable.  Brennan's pretty good at knowing the days of the week, and if he knows it's Friday, he knows that means Chick-fil-a or McDonald's.

1.19.2012 025

It's a great place for doodling...

1.19.2012 026

1.19.2012 028

For Brennan, too, ha!  Even though he has his own chalkboard that he loves, and it's right at his level.  I'll show you that soon.

1.19.2012 029

Of course, I had to dress it up at little bit.  I can't wait to change decorations with the holidays.

1.19.2012 027

The clock is just stuck on the board with a Command strip.  Have I ever told you Brennan has a huge fascination with Command strips.  He does.  I have no idea why.

1.19.2012 030

♥ I love our new chalkboard! 



Linking At:
Somewhat Simple

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails