Saturday, April 23, 2011

It's Easter Egg Time

This week has been filled with Easter eggs.  We practiced hunting some more to get Brennan ready for the big egg hunt tomorrow, most of Brennan's school art projects have been egg related, he had a mini egg hunt at school this week, and we also colored eggs here at home.  Oh wait, I'm sorry, according to Brennan we dyed them, we didn't color them.  He has corrected me several times, thanks to his Happy Easter, Curious George book.  Apparently George trumps Mommy any day.  And last but not least, we had to devour some Reese's Eggs, a long standing Easter tradition.

I don't know why I never thought about it before, but I started wondering what the symbolism was with eggs and Easter.  Thanks to the internets, I had my answer in a jiffy.

I copied this from infoplease.com:

"In Medieval Europe, eggs were forbidden during Lent. Eggs laid during that time were often boiled or otherwise preserved. Eggs were thus a mainstay of Easter meals, and a prized Easter gift for children and servants.
In addition, eggs have been viewed as symbols of new life and fertility through the ages. It is believed that for this reason many ancient cultures, including the Ancient Egyptians, Persians, and Romans, used eggs during their spring festivals."

And now we know.  Or maybe you already knew, and it was just me that was oblivious.

Now then, since I've talked about eggs so far this entire post, how about I show you some?  

First of all I would like it be known that this year I was a good mommy and remembered to get vinegar to increase our egg coloring dyeing enjoyment.  I am also proud to say that this time no one ended up with green alien hands. Yay!  If you would like to read about our last vinegar-less and alien hand egg coloring dyeing session you can read about it here

He was a little excited to get started. : )
Ready to color eggs

Such concentration.  He told me right away he could, "Do it myself."
I can do it myself

Pretty Eggs.
Pretty Eggs

Mixing them up.
Easter Overhead

He had to hold his mouth just right.
Pink

*Sniff sniff.*  He really could do it by himself.  He could even get them out without my help.
Yellow

All done!  He was so proud of his creations.
All Done!

He sat there and went through all the work of peeling an egg, and then remembered that he doesn't like eggs.
Peeling an egg
He peeled two others after this one, and was disappointed they all tasted the same.

I don't know how many times I walked into the kitchen and he was "visiting his eggies." 
Easter - Visiting his Eggies
Who knew eggs got lonely, ha.

That about wraps it up here.  I hope everyone has a wonderful Easter!


No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails