Tuesday, September 6, 2011

So Long Summer

For us, Labor Day weekend signifies the closing of summer.  I'm sure a lot of you are the same.  I feel a little sad, especially since Utah summers go by so fast.  I feel like it just started - and now, whattaya mean it's already over!! - but also excited, because everybody knows autumn is my favorite.  My fingers are just itching to start some warm and leafy decorating, but I'll try to tamp down my excitement for another couple of days and give Summer it's due.  Especially since it seems inevitable that I take a blogging hiatus when it's hot outside.  So much to do, so little time. (Oh, and books to read, too, but I'll talk about my most recent book series obsession another day.)

Summer Chalkboard

So yesterday, we went to the farmer's market, and bought some peaches, a watermelon, a bunch of fresh corn on the cob.  One last hurrah before our taste buds start craving pumpkin and cinnamon, and all things FALL!  (Believe me, I've got a whole file of new fall recipes to try.  Mmmmm, fall goodness.)  Oops, we were talking about summer.  I am going to mourn the loss of good summer strawberries and tomatoes.  I found the perfect salad combo this summer, and it has to have strawberries to be perfect - spring lettuce mix, chopped smoked turkey, green olives, strawberries, and Newman's Own Oil and Vinegar Dressing - Yum yum!  On the days I don't eat that salad, it's tomatoes, and cottage cheese, and olives.  Why yes, we all love olives around here!

Tomato Plants
Our tomato plants have done really well on the patio.  We weren't sure how they would do in pots, but they seem to be fine.  Next year we plan on expanding and trying a few more things.

Now this boy...
Brennan - Summer
has spent as much as his summer as he could, covered in dirt, riding his "pedal bike"...

blowing bubbles...
Bubbles

playing with bugs...
7.30.2011 585

and anything that had to do with water...
Pool Fun

sending artwork and letters to the grandparents...
Mailing Letters

climbing trees...
In the Tree

playing at the playground...
At the Park

making chalk creations...
Chalk Creations

and playing in his sandbox,
Playing in the Sandbox
in cowboy gear, of course!

This was the scene on many nights way before bedtime. : )
Sleepy Boy
I think he had a good summer.

Next time, I'll share some pictures from our vacation to Washington.


No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails