Wednesday, December 21, 2011

A Last Minute Christmas Project

So all over the internet this month, (well, the parts of the internet I frequent anyway) I have been seeing (and loving) these waterless snowglobes that people have been making inspired by some at Anthropologie.

Anthropologie Snowglobes
{image source: anthopologie}

How cute and easy!  All along I had planned on waiting and recreating these next year...

...but then as I was switching over laundry this morning, Brennan being his normal curious self decided to open up a box that was stashed in the corner.

And lo and behold, a bunch of these were in there. (Obviously, long forgotten about by me.  I once upon a time had intentions to actually can something with them. Ahem.)

Ball Jar

I took that as a sign. : )  Let's make some snowglobes!

Time to gather some supplies.  We didn't put up our Christmas village this year, so I dug out the box of village trees and the fake snow.  Brennan wasted no time in doing some forest management.

Forest Management

I also raided Brennan's stash of plastic animals to see if any of them could become part of our display, but none of the ones I found seemed appropriate to be joyously frolicking in the wintery forest.

Animals

It actually kind of looked like Lassie and John Boy had rounded up some Christmas dinner candidates. ha.  I'll stick with the trees.

After I had all my goods in line, I selected a variety of trees and hot glued them inside the lids.

Little Trees

Next I enlisted my little helper to funnel some snow into the jars.

Funneling Snow

We had to use a bamboo skewer to make the snow go down.

Stirring Snow

Kudos to me for realizing how much of a mess this would be and using a tray to catch the extra. : )

A Little More

Our jars had a little too much snow.  The little trees look like they were buried in a blizzard.  Of course I kept them that way. :)  But if you do this, just use a little, especially if your jars are small like ours.

Time for a test shake.

Shake it Up

Add the rest of the forest.

12.21.2011 095

And the fences Brennan insisted on. (Because they're friends.)

12.21.2011 097

Ta-da!  You have a magical and  wintery centerpiece in less that 20 minutes.

12.21.2011 102

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails